This propaganda poster came across my news feed.
According to Snopes,
- He occasionally rides a subway but is more often driving one of his sports cars or classic motorcycles.
- He generously support several charities; however, his net worth is estimated at $350 million.
- He lives in a $4 million home (shack, not a mansion, in Hollywood Hills, which is in California, not New York City).
Typical of propaganda, this poster extracts “bits” and extrapolates those to make broad or generalized claims that are not true.
The purpose of the poster seems to be to deliver a message that
- Reeves is humble
- He donates all his money to charity and lives a life of poverty (or something)
- We should all be like this
- Those who share or like this poster are virtue signaling their commitment to this ideal (or rather, they like it when other people choose this hypothetical life style)
- The poster makes several assertions, most of which are not true (lies).
- The poster uses celebrity endorsement.
- The poster uses cherry picking of the available information.
- The poster may be suggesting that we should “get on the bandwagon” too.
Why people are compelled to share items like this on social media is bewildering.