Life is now a minefield of symbology. The Anti-Defamation League has identified the following common symbols as “hate symbols“. Shockingly, many of the symbols are in common, every day use.
- “5 words”
- 737 (Who knew that Boeing is white supremacist organization?)
- 88 (The telegraphic abbreviation for “love and kisses” is now a hate symbol)
- The Confederate Flag (while used by non extremists as a symbol of southern heritage and history, it is now defined as a white supremacist symbol)
- HSN (formerly known as Home Shopping Network, is now a racist gang symbol)
- The mathematical “not equal” symbol consisting of an equals sign with a slanted line through it is now a white supremacist symbol. As a computer scientist who was one class shy of a double degree in mathematics, this means writing math terms marks computer scientists and mathematicians as white supremacists.
- The “Okay” hand gesture
- Pit bull
- ROA, previously known in finance as “return on assets”
- Thor’s Hammer (yes, Avengers is a white supremacist movie)
There we have it – everyone is now an accidental white supremacist.
This movement to term common terminology as hate symbols was made possible by social media.